Books related to geometric morphometrics
F. L. 1991.
- Morphometric tools for landmark data: geometry and biology. Cambridge
Univ. Press: New York. 435 pp.
Comprehensive text on geometric morphometrics -- from shape coordinates to
- Reyment, R. A. 1992. Biometrics 48:1301-1302
- Rohlf, F. J. 1993. J. Classification 10:133-136
- Ferson, S. 1993. Q. Rev. Biology 68:635
- Lele, S. 1999. Journal American Statistical Association 94:340-341
Morphometrics with R. Springer: New York.
316 pp. ISBN: 978-0-387-77789-4 $59.95.
Links to files
Luciano Da Fontoura and Roberto Marcondes Cesar Jr. 2000.
- Shape Analysis and Classification: Theory and Practice. CRC Press: New York.
659 pp. ISBN: 0849334934. $89.95. Contents
I. L. and K. V. Mardia 1998.
- Statistical shape analysis. Wiley: New York. 347 pp. ISBN 0-471-95816-6.
Comprehensive book on statistical analysis of shape data.
- Bookstein, F. L. review sent to morphmet. HTML
Ashraf M. T. (editor) 2004.
- Morphometrics–Applications in Biology and Paleontology. Springer-Verlag
Publishers, Heidelberg, Germany. 263 pp.
An edited book with many applications. Contents,
Cover, Publisher's web page.
- By M. Signore in PalArch. 185K PDF file
- Reply to the above review: 160K PDF file
- Review by M. L. Zelditch in Palaeontologia Electronica, 2005, vol.8,
issue 2. PDF
Ashraf M. T. (editor) 2010.
- Morphometrics–Morphometrics for Nonmorphometricians. Springer-Verlag
Publishers, Heidelberg, Germany. 367 pp.
This edited volume provides an introduction to morphometrics in a clear and simple way without recourse to complex mathematics and statistics. This introduction is followed by a series of case studies describing the variety of applications of morphometrics from paleontology and evolutionary ecology to archaeological artifacts analysis. This is followed by a presentation of future applications of morphometrics and state of the art software for analyzing and comparing shape. . Contents,
Publisher's web page.
D. G., D. Barden, T. K. Carne, and H. Le. 1999.
- Shape and shape theory. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., New York. 306
pp. ISBN: 0-471-96823-4.
A comprehensive (but very technical) account of Kendall's shape spaces.
S. R.,and J. T. Richtsmeier. 2001.
- An invariant approach to statistical analysis of shapes. Chapman
& Hall/CRC. 308 pp. ISBN: 0-8493-0319-2.
An exposition of the EDMA approach to morphometrics. Link to errata and some datasets.
- Slice, D. 2002. Journal of Human Evolution. 42:289-290.
- Dryden, I.L. 2002. Biometrics. 58:470-471.
- Stoyan, D. 2002. Biometrical Journal. 6:786.
P. E. 1997.
- Fourier descriptors and their applications in biology. Cambridge
Univ. Press. 466 pp. ISBN: 0-521-45201-5.
A description of Fourier methods. Check the reviews.
- Rohlf, F. J. 1998. Fourier descriptors and their applications in biology.
Bull. Math. Biol., 60:604-605. PDF
N.,and P. L. Forey. 2002.
- Morphology, shape, and phylogeny. Taylor & Francis. 304 pp.
Several chapters are relevant to applications of geometric morphometrics to
phylogeny. Includes chapter by Bookstein on creases and a chapter by Rohlf
on estimation of ancestral landmark configurations and images.
- Wagner, P. J. 2002. Paleontologia Electronica, 5(2). review.
L. F., E. Bello, and A. Garica-Valdecasas. (eds.) 1993.
- Contributions to morphometrics. Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales,
Madrid, Spain. 264 pp.
Papers concerned with data acquisition and various aspects of geometric morphometrics.
Order from: Luis Gomez Arguero, Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, c/Jose
Gutierrez Abascal, 2, 28006 Madrid, Spain. FAX: (1)184.108.40.206, e-mail: MCNHV00@CC.CSIC.ES.
Can also try: La Tienda del Museo, Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, C/Jose
Gutierrez Abascal, 2, 28006-Madrid, Spain. Price is 3120 pesetas plus 2500
pesetas p. & p. (airmail). Make check payable to La Tienda del Museo de
Ciencias S. L.
It is now freely available in PDF and other electronic
formats from the Internet Archive.
- Estabrook, G. A. 1994. Q. Rev. Biology 69:508-509
- Dickenson, T. A. 1994. ASPT Newsletter 8(1):21-25
L. F., M. Corti, A. Loy, G. J. P. Naylor and D. E. Slice. (eds.) 1996.
- Advances in Morphometrics. NATO ASI Series A: Life Sciences vol.
284. Plenum: New York. x1v+587 pp. ISBN 0-306-45301-0
Collection of papers resulting from the NATO ASI in Il Ciocco, Italy in 1993.
Topics include: traditional morphometrics, data acquisition, landmark methods,
outlines with or without landmarks, comparing shapes of organisms, low taxonomic
level and intraspecific comparisons, and higher taxonomic level comparisons.
There will also be an extensive glossary. Cost: $231.50 (US) or 224.50 EUR.
Link to publisher
Note: in the past qualifying orders for five or more copies
of NATO volumes (can be of the same or different titles) are charged only
$40/ volume. Contact the publisher to see if this is still possible. Link
to the publisher's home page.
Lenadro and Sergio Furtado dos Reis 1999.
- Principios de morfometria geometrica. Holos Editora (email@example.com).
188 pp. ISBN: 85-86699-10-1.
This is the first morphometrics primer in portuguese language. It has 188
pages and covers topics such as basic multivariate analysis, Outline methods,
Superimposition methods and thin plate splines. It has also a worked example
and a chapter exposing the matrix algebra needed to understand the text.
- Reyment, R. 1999 HTML.
- Multidimensional paleobiology. Pergamon Press: New York, 377 pp +
39 p. supplement by Les Marcus.
Applications of multivariate statistical methods. Also discusses thin-plate
splines and fractals. Supplement by Marcus provides programs written in SAS
- Anon 1994. Biometrics 50:897
F. J. and F. L. Bookstein. (eds.) 1990.
- Proceedings of the Michigan Morphometrics Workshop. Special Publ.
No. 2, The University of Michigan Museum of Zoology. 380 pp.
Collection of papers resulting from the Michigan workshop. Topics include
data acquisition, multivariate methods, methods for outline data, methods
for landmark data, and the problem of homology. Order from: Publications,
Museum of Zoology, The Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079. Soft cover
$17.50 + shipping. List of corrections as html
or a 36K PDF file. A few copies are still available (as of 12/22/06) for $25. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 734-764-0470, or FAX 734-763-4080.
Click here to access download site for the 27MB PDF file.
- Strauss, R. E. 1991. Science 253:1152
- Mousseau, T. A. 1991. Evolution 45:1979-1980
- Warheit, K. I. 1992. Syst. Biol. 41:392-395
- Mangel, M. 1992. Q. Rev. Biol. 67:418-419
Dennis E. (ed.) 2005.
- Modern Morphometrics in Physical Anthropology. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, 383 pp. ISBN: 0306486989.
Provides a comprehensive sampling of the applications
of modern, sophisticated methods of shape analysis in anthropology,
and serves as a starting point for the exploration of these practices by students and
This text is a resource for the general morphometric community that includes ecologists,
evolutionary biologists, systematists, and medical researchers.
C. G. 1996.
- The statistical theory of shape. Springer: New York. 227 pp. ISBN:
A technical discussion of the geometry and statistics of Kendall's shape space.
G. W. and F. L. Bookstein. 2011.
- Virtual Anthropology: a guide to a new interdisciplinary field. Springer: New York. 423 pp. ISBN: 978-3-211-48647-4.
- Zelditch, M. L., D. L. Swiderski, H. D. Sheets, and W. L. Fink. 2004.
- Geometric Morphometrics for biologists: a primer.
Elsevier Academic Press: London. 443 pp. £44.95 ISBN: 0-12-77846-08.
The first book-length primer for geometric morphometrics.
- Rohlf, F. J. 2005. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 20:13-14.
- MacLeod, N. 2005. The Palaeontological Association Newsletter 58:7278 PDF.
Christoph P. E.
and Marcia S. Ponce de León.
- Virtual Reconstruction: A Primer in Computer-Assisted Paleontology
Wiley Interscience: Hoboken, New Jersey. 333 pp. $89.95. ISBN: 0-471-20507-9.
- Rohlf, F. J. 2006. Quarerly Review of Biology In press.
Note1: By tradition, some of the above books are referred to
by color. Thus: Bookstein et al. (1985) is the "red book", Rohlf and Bookstein
(1990) is the "blue book", Bookstein (1991) is the "orange book", and Marcus
et al. (1993) is the "black book." The book by Zelditch et al. (2004) is known as the "green book".
Note2: Please check the reviews before investing in one of
the books listed above. The list is intended to be comprehensive and not
a list of recommended readings.
Thanks to John M. Lynch for putting together the initial list of reviews for
the above publications.
May 31, 2012
Back to SB Morphometrics home page.